[PLUG] Configuring Kensington Orbit Scroll Ring Trackball buttons

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 01:52:50 UTC 2019

The first thing I would try is to check if the system receives events from the
buttons/wheel/... whatever that contraptions of yours have:

lsusb - should show your device - you can increase verbosity with -v or -vvv or
even -vvvvvv

ls /dev/input/by-id/* - should show your device too
Example of mine:
/dev/input/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Universal_Receiver-event-
kbd         /dev/input/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Universal_Receiver-if01-mouse
/dev/input/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Universal_Receiver-if01-event-
mouse  /dev/input/by-id/usb-J8AF926V8_Integrated_Camera-event-if00

see if you get data from your raw device (example mine)
sudo cat /dev/input/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Universal_Receiver-if01-mouse

now - if you press the buttons, move the wheel/ball you should observe some
response in the terminal.
Ctrl-C will get you out of the cat /dev/....

If you observed responses on your not working buttons/wheel/... events you
should be able to configure/map those to work with some google-fu.

Maybe start here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_buttons
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Logitech_Marble_Mouse
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/map-mouse-on-linux/