[PLUG] Configuring Kensington Orbit Scroll Ring Trackball buttons

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 21:53:11 UTC 2019

Got little time over the weekend to remember more and look at your responses.

With your trackball events being correctly registered by the OS you have two
options as I see it:
  a) reuse different button for middle click
  b) emulate middle click (as left+right button press)

a) pick alternative button for the middle button function on your device.
   find out what is the button number by: xev | grep button
     - example: You chose button 8
   find out your device ID by: xinput list
    - in your case it is: 8
   get your existing button mapping: xinput get-button-map 8
    - I get: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    - button map - maps device button numbers to xinput buttons/events by order
                   in my example device button 1 maps to ximput button 1 ...
    - xinput button order is:
       1 = left button
       2 = middle button (pressing the scroll wheel)
       3 = right button
       4 = turn scroll wheel up
       5 = turn scroll wheel down
       6 = push scroll wheel left
       7 = push scroll wheel right
       8 = 4th button (aka browser backward button)
       9 = 5th button (aka browser forward button)
   assign your device button (8) to xinput middle button (2)
     - this is done by putting dev button (8) to the 2nd place in the list
       you got from: xinput get-button-map 8
     sudo xinput set-button-map 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
   now your button 8 should act as middle button

Note 1: If you get error: No protocol specified - run: xhost +
        before executing the command
Note 2: If you want to make this permanent add the xinput set....
        to ~/.xstartup or figure out the relevant X11 config file/line

b) Emulating middle button as left+right button press
   find out your device ID by: xinput list
    - in your case it is: 8
   check xinput property settings for your device 8 by:
     xinput list-props 8
     - you will most likely see line like:
       libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (284):  0
   enable middle button emulation by:
     sudo xinput set-prop 8 "libinput Middle Emulation Enabled" 1
     - if you get protocol error - see Note 1 above
   to make it permanent - see Note 2 above or:
     /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
       Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "middle button emulation class"
         MatchIsPointer "on"
         Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
       EndSection

I hope this will work for you - It comes from my old notes

If someone finds this and uses Wayland instead of X11 - this will most likely
not work for them.

Best luck,
Tomas