[PLUG] Configuring Kensington Orbit Scroll Ring Trackball buttons [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 6 22:38:02 UTC 2019

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019, tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com wrote:

> With your trackball events being correctly registered by the OS you have two
> options as I see it:
>  a) reuse different button for middle click
>  b) emulate middle click (as left+right button press)

Tomas,

I started replying to your message and had the thought of searching for the
Prestige Kensington Eagle trackball (the selected device name in xfce4).
Turns out this brings up my post on LQ as well as a file in xorg.conf.d. It
works after logging out and back in: press both buttons and the action is
that of a third, middle button.

When I logged in on LQ to answer my post there I found a response that not
only had the code I found, but also an expanded version which now sits in
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.c/10-evdev.conf:

Section "InputClass"
     Identifier  "Kensignton Trackwheel Middleclick and Scrollwheel Emulation"
     MatchProduct        "Kensington      Kensington USB/PS2 Orbit"
     MatchDevicePath     "/dev/input/event*"
     Driver              "evdev"
     MatchIsPointer      "on"
     Option              "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
     Option              "EmulateWheel"          "true"
     Option              "EmulateWheelButton"    "3"
EndSection

I'm sure this version will also work.

Thanks again for your times!