[PLUG] Issue on laptop w/trackpad disabled

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 01:10:02 UTC 2019

This reminds me of 2012 when they released the unity desktop for 12.04 LTS
(the first Unity LTS release, unless I'm forgetting something). Unity adds
a lot of keyboard-driven functionality that typically wasn't included in
many distros by default.

I was at oscon that year, and I stopped by the Ubuntu booth to ask about
all these new fancy features. The guy manning their booth was about 19/20
years old (close to my age at the time), and immediately started showing me
all these fancy keyboard shortcuts to search files, open apps, the works.

At this point I was having trouble keeping up with the key combos, so I
asked him "Those shortcuts look cool, but what if I forget the key
combinations? Is there a way to pull up a list, like a cheatsheet?"
Without saying anything, one of his fingers twitched, and a list of all
keyboard shortcuts appeared on the screen. Then he told me, "You can open
up a list of all the keyboard shortcuts as a reminder"

It is nice to see that here in 2019, 7 years later, Ubuntu still relies on
a keyboard shortcut to teach users how to use keyboard shortcuts.