[PLUG] xubuntu version ?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jul 9 04:58:55 UTC 2019

On 7/8/19 7:06 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
> In general referring to an xubuntu release using the cooresponding ubuntu
> release is fine. In your case it's 18.04, that's all
>
> But you can dig deeper if you want to. Xubuntu creates their own "xubuntu"
> meta packages. These packages serve a dual-role of both pulling in Xfce
> packages and defining the Xubuntu "brand".
>
> - Looking at the Xfce packages will give you the version of xfce
> - Looking at the Xubuntu packages will give you the version of xubuntu.
>
> So try searching for Xubuntu instead.
>
> There is a hidden version number if you want to dive into the repo. Use
> apt-cache to search for the xubuntu-desktop package. This is one of the
> highest level Xubuntu packages and will trigger installation of everything
> from xubuntu-wallapapers to xubunt-default-settings.
> $ apt-cache search xubuntu-desktop
>
> There's also "apt-get info" if you want a brief description of a given
> package... but don't quote me on that. It's easier just to look it up on
> packages.ubuntu.com
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/xubuntu-desktop
>
> I'm not sure what their methodology is for the version number of
> xubuntu-desktop, but it does have its own version and is the best answer
> you are going to get short of asking the dev team directly. In general
> referring to an Xfce release with the cooresponding

rsteff at ENU-2:~$ apt-show-versions | grep xubuntu
plymouth-theme-xubuntu-logo:all/bionic 18.04.5 uptodate
plymouth-theme-xubuntu-text:all/bionic 18.04.5 uptodate
xubuntu-artwork:all/bionic 18.04.5 uptodate
xubuntu-community-wallpapers:all/bionic 18.04.0 uptodate
xubuntu-community-wallpapers-bionic:all/bionic 18.04.0 uptodate
xubuntu-core:amd64/bionic 2.225 uptodate
xubuntu-core:i386 not installed
xubuntu-default-settings:all/bionic 18.04.6 uptodate
xubuntu-desktop:amd64/bionic 2.225 uptodate
xubuntu-desktop:i386 not installed
xubuntu-docs:all/bionic 18.04.1 uptodate
xubuntu-icon-theme:all/bionic 18.04.5 uptodate
xubuntu-wallpapers:all/bionic 18.04.5 uptodate
rsteff at ENU-2:~$

That seems to confirm that I did indeed install xubuntu.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens