[PLUG] web search post filtering

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jul 11 05:10:26 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 07:03:42PM -0700, Jason Barnett wrote:
> you might want to try www.dogpile.com. It is a meta-search engine, so more
> difficult for any one search provider to skew the results.
> Also, it appears that the "+" and "-" search modifiers do affect the
> results. I am not sure if it is because of something that Dogpile does or
> if one or more of the search engines it uses respects those modifiers.

Thanks, but dogpile still presents way too many irrelevant
results to dig through.  It's like going to a store for a
Washington apple, and getting entire agricultural output
of the Pacific Northwest.  That will certainly include the
apple you want ... eventually.

If you are looking for a Washington apple +blue, you get
the same long list of results, when you should get few or
none.  Google is actually more parsimonious than most.

Free search results are tempting, but there is no place to
get free extra minutes (or hours, or days, or years) added
to my life.  I can add minutes by exercise, but I'm not
doing that when I'm chained to a screen and a web browser.

Someday you will be old, watching the last of the sand slip
through the hourglass, and regret the time you wasted on
inconsequential distraction when you were young.  My time
waste fraction has increased substantially as search
engines have "evolved".

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com