[PLUG] C program build error in Makefile

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 18 14:22:24 UTC 2019

It's been more than a dozen years since I last coded in C and built a
Makefile. Depending on project needs I use the GRASS GIS for terrain and
hydrologic modeling, and I need it now. Since the late 1990s I've built the
latest development version from code checked out from the subversion
repository. A couple of weeks ago the devs completed the migration from SVN
to GIT using a github repo.

I cloned the repository and tried building the most current version. It
failed (see below), as did prior versions and the SlackBuilds.org version.
Same error on each of three hosts: one 32-bit and two 64-bit. I need help in
learning why this build error occurs (and not apparently on other
distributions used by others) and in fixing it.

-----
Finished compilation: Fri Jul 12 07:16:54 PDT 2019
Makefile:57: recipe for target 'default' failed
make: *** [default] Error 1

Looking at line 57 in Makefile I see:

default:
         @echo "GRASS GIS $(GRASS_VERSION_MAJOR).$(GRASS_VERSION_MINOR).$(GR
                 > $(ERRORLOG)
         @echo "--------------------------------------------------" >> $(ERR
         @echo "Started compilation: `date`"                        >> $(ERR
         @echo "--"                                                 >> $(ERR
         @echo "Errors in:"                                         >> $(ERR
         -$(CHMOD) 755 install-sh
         $(MAKE) subdirs
         $(MAKE) $(FILES_DST)
         $(MAKE) manifests
         @if [ `wc -l < "$(ERRORLOG)"` -gt 5 ] ; then \
                 echo "--"     >> $(ERRORLOG) ; \
-----

I need help identifying why the Makefile is not finding the recipe on my
systems. Can send Makefile and other information off the mail list; the
Makefile is 4k in length.

TIA,