[PLUG] exchanging files on LAN

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sat Jul 20 14:32:32 UTC 2019

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>>  Your local ssh-agent should do the trick. Going out on a limb, I'm
>>  going to suggest that the fix should be easy.
>
> Paul,
>
> I thoght ssh-agent was the tool.

It is. On a Linux machine ssh-agent is usually run before X11 so that
the agent's environment variables are visible to all the applications
(esp. shell sessions) on your desktop.

By default, ssh-agent is empty when you log in. It doesn't store your
private key(s) until you ask.

ssh-add is the tool you use to load file-based SSH keys (which are
often encrypted with a passphrase for security) into ssh-agent.

To comment on Louis' reply, you shouldn't need to enable agent
forwarding (-A) unless you're using ssh on hostA to log into hostB and
from there (and using the key on hostA) into hostC.

If all you're doing is logging from hostA into hostB, agent forwarding
won't come into play.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com