[PLUG] Same software but different behavior on two hosts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 25 00:36:12 UTC 2019

I've run firefox and google-earth on my 32-bit desktop for years. Moving to
the replacement 64-bit desktop requires re-building all packages (not an
issue for me). But, both firefox and google-earth behave differently on the
two hosts.

Google Earth on the 32-bit system uses American values for length and
elevation (feet, miles) while the 64-bit system (Google Earth Pro) displays
metric values (meters and kilometers). I've not found where units can be
user-selected.

Firefox on the 64-bit system (with the same few addons/extensions as on the
32-bit system) won't automatically play videos. I have not found where in
Preferences this is controlled.

While Google Earth no longer supports 32-bit versions it would be nice to be
able to select English or Metric as units for length, height, and areal
measurements. It would also be nice to find why the 64-bit firefox behaves
differently from the 32-bit version.

Suggestions for where I should start looking for answers will be quite
helpful.