[PLUG] Your first PLUG talk!

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 22:08:13 UTC 2019

I stand corrected. For longest time it was skype was only x86_32, but they
must have decided to get with the times after I moved on.

As for a giving a PLUG talk, there have been a couple things that I'd like
to bring to light. There are a number of "less sexy" topics that often get
sidelined in the linux community.

>From my perspective as a Support Technician, I see a lot of focus on the
act of creating software, while the more routine day-to-day work gets
sidelined. There are a lot of myths to dispel surrounding the purpose of
the linux platform, and the value each Distribution brings to the table.

There's also a check-and-balance relationship that occurs between the
developer and the user. Devs pour so much time and energy into developing
something that it can become difficult to respond to the inevitable flood
of questions, comments and concerns.
I can even provide some context for why so many people are upset about
systemd (hint: it has NOTHING to do with the software), if anyone is
interested.

After years of seeing false information about my distro of choice I've
pretty much stopped caring about the opinions of other communities,
broadcasting my thoughts on this or that forum and moving on. But if anyone
is interested in the observations of someone who has been running Slackware
since he was 13 years old, I'm down to present what I've seen and learned
since the dark days of KDE3, Gnome2, and HAL.

I could also talk about that search engine thing I created a couple weeks
ago. I always enjoy laughing at how Google bends over backwards to control
their users.