[PLUG] IP tracking

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 19:13:56 UTC 2019

On 7/25/19 10:21 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> Is there a good place to read up on IP tracking by Google? Folks I know
> want to use Google Calendar. They are totally unsophisticated with
> regards to how Google tracks a user's IP address. I want to find some
> information I can cite to explain it to them.

Dick,

Literally EVERYBODY tracks your IP address. If they didn't, there would
be no way to access information on the internet. An IP address is how
internet information finds its destination and is exactly analogous to
your house address for receiving paper mail:  EVERYBODY knows your house
address. It's a public record.

The question is not "Do they track my IP access" but "Do they track what
internet sites and information I access from my IP address".  You can
block a lot of this, use a VPN or proxy to hide your real IP, but then
you can't use "free" services like google calendar, etc.

-Ed