[PLUG] IP tracking

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 20:27:21 UTC 2019

On 7/26/19 12:26 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 7/26/19 12:13 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
>> On 7/25/19 10:21 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> Is there a good place to read up on IP tracking by Google? Folks I know
>>> want to use Google Calendar. They are totally unsophisticated with
>>> regards to how Google tracks a user's IP address. I want to find some
>>> information I can cite to explain it to them.
>>>
>> Dick,
>>
>> Literally EVERYBODY tracks your IP address. If they didn't, there would
>> be no way to access information on the internet. An IP address is how
>> internet information finds its destination and is exactly analogous to
>> your house address for receiving paper mail:  EVERYBODY knows your house
>> address. It's a public record.
>
> I understand this part.
>
>> The question is not "Do they track my IP access" but "Do they track what
>> internet sites and information I access from my IP address".  You can
>> block a lot of this, use a VPN or proxy to hide your real IP, but then
>> you can't use "free" services like google calendar, etc.
>
> Right. That's the part I want to read up on. How does Google track IP
> addresses and the sites those IP addresses connect to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_log

Its all in the server logs, router logs, for whatever server a site uses
(web, ftp, mail etc). These can be customized to track all sorts of
information which can then be parsed and analyzed with all sorts of
standard (open source) utilities, or custom code.  To name a few:

nmap
nslookup
dig
whois

and https://awstats.sourceforge.io/

The same tools used in cybersecurity, penetration testing, etc, can be
used to gather information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetration_test

I am befuddled by your question.  As I said above EVERYBODY tracks
server access, not just google, and this tracking is BUILT INTO the
server software.  All they have to do is look at their server logs. Once
parsed and stored in a relational database, this information can be
analyzed for trends, location, browser, operating system etc. That is
simply all there is to "how".

Perhaps Google is blocking you search terms. Try duckduckgo:

https://www.howtogeek.com/115483/htg-explains-learn-how-websites-are-tracking-you-online/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_and_network_surveillance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/29/what-to-expect-now-that-internet-providers-can-collect-and-sell-your-web-browser-history/

and 100s more.