[PLUG] IP tracking

Drew G. Wallace drewgwallace at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 01:07:48 UTC 2019

Here's a good overview of TOR
https://youtu.be/lVcbq_a5N9I

For day-to-day use with regular internet activities you would be better off
using a reputable VPN. They are cheap and easy to set up.

I agree that masking meta-searches is only the tip of the iceberg. Some
basic things a user can do to conceal their online traffic is browser
extensions (Ghostery, noScript, uBlock Origins), stay away from intrusive
browser extensions and phone applications, stay off or logged out of social
media, and begin clearing their browsers cache more often. Tracking will
still find a way (credit cards, canvas fingerprinting, browser metadata,
etc.) to create identifiable entropy, we can only work to reduce exposure
in this tech era.

At the end of the day it's still a balance between security and
convenience. People will be excited to use Ebates or Honey for a kickback
or coupon, handing over all their personal metrics in the process.

My 2¢,
Drew