[PLUG] Librem One...

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 06:07:11 UTC 2019

https://puri.sm/

Linux Journal had an article on laptops running Librem One.  Any
thoughts?  I'm thinking laptops running Librem One may be better than
what you get if you go with System76 or you try to repurpose the
average Windows laptop.  Privacy is important for business, though
the target seems to be non business users.  Until today, I had never
heard of Librem One.

Purism is a "social benefit" company, aka a b-corp, that develops
PureOS. I know of it, but not very much about it.

My thoughts on this. Librem One is a subscription based secure app
bundle that you can also buy with their laptop.

There are tried and tested free apps such as Signal, protonmail and
various free & paid internet vpn options.

One of the obvious things missing from Librem's site is any kind of
independent security review / endorsement.

My read is that Librem One is that they're trying to position
themselves for all the  non-tech people who run away from Facebook,
Instagram, Twitter, Google as they realize how they've been exploited
and how all their personal data is now owned by a big tech
corporation.

Any Linux distro is relatively secure for most every day uses,
especially if you use a modern secure browser w. plugins like HTTPS
Everywhere, uBlock Origin and end-to-end encrypted email and chat apps
and stay away from all social medial sites.

I did like the lil' bit I read about Librem Social. I'm not sure how
it compares to Minds.com.

Big corps are my biggest security concern. So many of them have piss
poor security practices and are more concerned with profits than with
their customer's personal data.

Personally, I don't like the idea of putting all my personal security
in 1 basket. No matter how socially beneficial their intentions are.

In terms of personal data security, I think Solid, which is led by Sir
Tim Berners Lee, has the best model that I've seen that is well
thought out and has a really good chance of being widely adopted.

https://solid.inrupt.com/how-it-works

But in the end, no app or OS is going to save you from stupidity &
negligence. As the say, security, and for that matter also privacy, is
a process of learning and adapting to the ever changing digital
landscape.

And if you're not familiar with Security Self-Defense, I highly
recommend you start here, https://ssd.eff.org/

https://solid.inrupt.com/how-it-works