[PLUG] Wireless access point failing?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Jun 9 07:43:08 UTC 2019

You can install OpenWrt on a Meraki MR24, that are super cheap these days
because enterprise customers dumped them for 802.11ac gear. They have
similar radio specs to your current device, 3x3 dual band 802.11n.
However, installing OpenWrt on a Meraki MR24 requires some disassembly and
possibly some skills you don't have, so it probably isn't the best choice
for you.  That said, they are designed to be access points, they have only
one ethernet interface, come with a nice mounting kit that would let you
screw it to a wall or ceiling, and I have some.  802.11n has some
advantages over 802.11ac, namely the drivers are completely open source.
All 802.11ac radios have firmware blobs that can limit functionality and
disrupt the ability for end users to fix bugs. Whether that is something
you care about is a separate question, but it matters to me and how I use
them.

If anyone wants to order one on Ebay, I'll exchange it with one I have
flashed with OpenWrt for a $20 premium to compensate for the time it takes
to do the necessary disassembly/flashy-flash/reassembly (once flashed, it's
easy to update). Let me know if that's something you are interested in.