[PLUG] Convert .wav to .mp3 in Slackware 14.2

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Mar 3 22:46:40 UTC 2019

On 3/3/19 2:39 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
> On 2/26/19 10:22 PM, Tom wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:40:05 -0800
>> King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> PS: use flac.  mp3 quality sucks donkey balls.
>> FLAC is excellent for lossless compression, however if your looking for
>> lossy compression Opus codec offers greater compression ratios and less
>> artifacting than MP3 and having a permissive license.
>>
>> http://www.opus-codec.org/comparison/
>>
> Indeed, opus is quite good.  However, for music, lossless will be far
> superior. Unless you are very short on hard drive space, there is no
> reason to butcher perfectly goo music. Given the sizes and prices of USB
> drives, SSD cards, and hard drives these days, that is not so much an
> issue.
>
> Unless Dick wants fire up Napster (!) and share audio files.....

Uh, no. Not interested in getting in trouble with the copyright police.
Just want to put my CD, vinyl, and cassette collections on a hard drive
so I can listen to the music from the computer. When I first started
doing this several years ago, we tried listening for the difference in
sound, starting with 320, which is supposedly CD quality. We didn't like
196, but we were happy with 256, and that's what I've been using since then.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens