[PLUG] Xfce gnome-keyring issues in Slackware (WAS: Re: Google Earth on Slackware 14.2 with Nouveau)

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 01:43:03 UTC 2019

On 3/3/19 3:35 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 3/3/19 3:05 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
>> On 3/2/19 8:42 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> I can launch Google Earth from the menu and I get the dialog:
>>>
>>>      Enter password for keyring 'Default keyring' to unlock.
>>>
>>> The text part of the GE window loads, the GE splash window shows, and a
>>> small window shows that says:

>>> I don't recall ever setting up a password for 'Default keyring'.
>>>
>>> If I cancel the keyring password dialog a small rectangle opens in the
>>> graphic space of GE, but the splash window doesn't go away. When I close
>>> GE, another dialog comes up asking for the keyring password.
>>>
>>> Launching by typing google-earth-pro in a terminal produces no output. I
>>> get all the same things as above.
>>>
>>> How do I set a password for the keyring?
>>>
>> Are you on KDE?
>
> No. Xfce.
>
>> You can reset the wallet keyring via
>> System -> Kwalletmanager and reset/delete the wallet data.
>>
>> On Xfce, I have gnome-keyring stuff disabled in Settings -> autostart...
>> more trouble than its worth.
>
> I don't find anything relevant in Applications > Settings, or in
> Applications > Settings > Settings Manager
>
>> You can check $HOME/.gnome or
>> $HOME/.local/share/keyrings/ for config files to delete.
>
> I don't find $Home/.gnome, but I do find $Home/.local/share/keyrings. I
> moved all of those to the desktop and rebooted.
>
> I tried starting GE from the menu. I did not get a request to enter a
> keyring password, but the rest of the problem described above continues.
> When I clicked on the X to close GE, I got a dialog asking for me to
> enter a new keyring password. I put one in. Then I tried launching GE
> again. Same problem persists, but no annoyance from the keyring. I also
> tried launching from a terminal using google-earth-pro. The launch went
> the same way as it did when launching from the menu. No messages
> appeared in the terminal either after the launch, or after shutting down
> GE.

Dick

I sent off-list a screenshot of my Settings -> Session and Startup ->
Application autostart (tab).  Uncheck anything that says "GNOME-keyring"
Next delete
$HOME/.local/share/keyrings/
$HOME/.googleearth/
$HOME/.config/Google/

and reboot. That should reset the gnome-keyring-daemon and Google earth
back to defaults.

-Ed