[PLUG] Allow user to shutdown host

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 4 13:44:22 UTC 2019

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019, King Beowulf wrote:

> Instead of messing with sudo, you can configure the KDE and Xfce power
> manager (and other DEs) to trigger a shutdown command by pressing the
> power button. The user needs to be in the 'power' group IIRC.

Ed,

How interesting! I was unaware of this.

For now, rather than remembering to type 'sudo /sbin/halt', she can type
'haltnow' because I put that function in her ~/.bashrc as Paul suggested.
I'll soon learn if that worked. I'll hold (no pun intended) the power button
shutdown in reserve.

As always with linux, there's a plethora of working solutions.

Many thanks,