[PLUG] Determining if a newer version of a Slackpkg is available

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 01:55:55 UTC 2019

I have first hand experience in the CPU/computing industry.

It takes a lot of effort and activities to bring new product architecture
to the market. Many of these activities are sequential and just cannot be
done faster.

This is especially true when the resources are limited. Remember, AMD is
relatively small company, and they were not in the position to spend money
they did not have yet when launching there products.

It is not obvious to observe the development and verification time line
when looking at well oiled experience with current Intel architecture. They
have much deeper and wider product development pipeline than anybody else.
So, the development and verification can be done incrementally, often ahead
of product release.

You can get a glimpse of Intel's product pipeline depth when observing
events such as Spectre - discovered in summer 2017, still being worked on.
My guesstimate is that we will see reasonable product solution (not a
patch) some time in 2020 time frame. That is three years worth of
somebody's hard work.

In that light, I would think that AMD's Linux kernel upbringing is in line
with the industry. You can see their long term investment by open sourcing
their drivers. In theory, that should significantly speed up their kernel
contributions as the new products become smaller incremental changes.

This is hard work.

Just my 2c,
Tomas