[PLUG] circuit design and simulation software

tim at wescottdesign.com tim at wescottdesign.com
Fri Mar 22 20:45:57 UTC 2019

It depends on how committed you are to open source.  The more or less
industry standard, unless you're doing really serious big circuits, is
LTSpice.  It's free-as-in-beer, not open-source, and to add insult to
injury it's a Windows program.

But -- they've taken pains to keep it Wine compatible, and the only
blatently commercial aspect of it is that the only parts that come
pre-defined are Linear Technology ones (although Linear's been bought
by Analog, so things may change).

https://www.analog.com/en/search.html?q=LTSpice

There are open-source simulation tools out there, but they've been
overshadowed by LTSpice, and frankly, I haven't used them.

When you start actually laying out boards, KiCad is pure open-source
way to go.