[PLUG] Using xrandr to address overscan on TV

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Mar 28 23:38:37 UTC 2019

The system is a Lenovo M58P with an nVidia GeForce GT 610 using its HDMI
port. The OS is Xbuntu 18.04.

I'm trying to deal with the issue of the top and sides of the desktop
are outside of the TV frame. I tried the instructions at:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2380987

and have the same error as experienced by the poster.

$ xrandr
HDMI-0 connected (followed by  a bunch of stuff)

$sudo xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan on --set "underscan
vborder" 30 --set "underscan hborder" 30
X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 11 (RRQueryOutputProperty)
Serial number of failed request: 31

Additional searches don't seem to address the problem.

Ideas?

Thanks.

--
Regards,