[PLUG] Using xrandr to address overscan on TV

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 00:05:33 UTC 2019

Disclaimer: I cannot remember how I solved this - long time ago - I
hope my comentary might give you some ideas.

I had similar problem in the past - caused by TV lying about its screen
resolution. It was one of the cheap but expensive + early Visio TVs.
There was sticker on the back advertising the "greatest and truest HD
TV ever". Needless to say the panel was not even HD but some obscure
1013-ish to 698-ish and of course it advertised itself as 1280x720 and
it was 6b panel with pretty bad dithering too.

I have a feeling that I was able to override the reported resolution in
X device configs somehow. I remember upgrading to newer distro about 2+
years ago - I could not get it working anymore. My wife solved it for
me by getting cheap, but this time not so expensive + late full HD +
not-Visio TV with real 1920x1080 resolution reported. That was the end
of that struggle for me.

Hope it helps you somehow,
Tomas