[PLUG] Firefox add-ons dropped, can't re-install

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Sun May 5 16:24:23 UTC 2019

On 5/4/19 6:27 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:57:01 -0700
> Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>> Given that I've been moving to Falkon from the ktown repo, I don't
>> really care all that much.
> The Falkon website says to install from your distro's repositories,
> Eager to try something new I tried to install it on Xubuntu 16.04, but
> it's not in the repos. It also offers a command to install with snap,
> but I hate snap. I also found an Appimage file, but it won't run - no
> error messages, just nada. Oh well.

That's probably because Falkon is the new KDE browser. It's semi-related
to chrome/chromium. I haven't figured out how much it depends on the KDE
Plasma desktop.

That's why I mentioned ktown. For Slackware ktown is a bleeding edge
KDE5 repository so you would need to running an equally recent version
of ubuntu. 16.04 is too old ;-)

BTW, I see a lot of questions on PLUG about package version
availability. Even though I'm not on Ubuntu, I still get curious and
look up versions at their online repo list:

https://packages.ubuntu.com

You can search by version, e.g. 16.04 or 18.04. This is useful to
determine if you need to upgrade, and to which version you should
upgrade to.

According to my searches, 16.04 doesn't have falkon, but 18.04 DOES

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=falkon&searchon=names&suite=bionic&section=all

One of those pro-tips. Personally I find it easier to help myself
whenever possible. You know, teach a man to fish and all that.