[PLUG] Swapping Toshiba Screens

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri May 17 00:39:57 UTC 2019

I have a pair of Toshiba Satellites, each with a problem. One of them
won't boot at all. The other can boot partway, but has a damaged screen.
The right hand couple of inches are messed up. I can see stuff going on
on the other side, but the task to which I want to put it requires a
working screen. Of course, I'm cheap and want to fix this for close to
zero $. So my question is, how can I tell if the screen on one is
compatible with the other? The research I did indicates that they are
both 1280 x 800, but I don't know enough about this level of hardware to
know if that's all I need to know.

The unit with the bum screen is a Satellite L45-S7423, Model number
PSL48U-013005.
The unit that won't boot is a Satellite A135-S2326, Part number
PSAD6U-0100D.

And, of course, I will need guidance to swap them, assuming that is
possible. Alas, I won't be able to attend either of the next two
clinics. July will be the first time I can make it.

The intended use is to install Apache for local use with a "website"
I'll write to play audio from a list. I don't want to use typical audio
programs because they have too many features. This will have large
buttons and a simple list of audio files that not too sophisticated
folks can use. I'll set up the machine to power up with the website
running and waiting for the user to hit play.

Ideas for which distro make sense for this old machine (the L45) will
also be appreciated. It came with Vista Home Basic. I don't know if
either of them are 64 bit or 32 bit, but I'm guessing 32 bit.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens