[PLUG] SSD Advice Needed

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sat May 18 16:06:17 UTC 2019

I haven't messed with much in the hardware department for years. I recently
picked up a small 12V computer I want to use for some field applications in
ham radio. It presently has a conventional 160 GB SATA WD Caviar Blue drive
in it now. I'd like to replace that with a comparable SSD that is hopefully
just plug and play with the existing SATA connectors. Is that possible? My
intent is to just load a basic Linux install (probably CentOS) from a USB
stick and run a few basic services. It will have a USB GPS puck and run
gpsd and ntp. I'll run the normal network server stuff of dhcp, dns, etc. I
guess Samba is still the thing for a file server. It will not be connected
to the Internet when in the field. The field network will be a bunch of
Windows laptops and will need to share some files across the network with
the server.

So, all that to ask, what should I get for an SSD for this thing? This is a
low budget project.

Thanks for your ideas.
Michael