[PLUG] An obscure (at least to me) useful tool

brooks at netgate.net brooks at netgate.net
Thu May 23 16:21:07 UTC 2019

If you use vi, a simple ":set nu" will also provide line numbers. How many
other (simple) ways are there to number lines in a file? You'd think UNIX
tool designers were BASIC programmers :-). BASIC...

   10 print "hello world"
   20 goto 10

Those were simpler times.

But I digress. Getting back to the topic. Why do we need a "cat -n" and an
"nl"? Feature bloat seems to creep into even simple UNIX utilities.

And here are a couple of more goods ways of finding a line number using
sed or grep and a pattern:

   sed -n /"easily"/'{=;p;}' < data_analysis.txt
   34
            I could easily implement netblock blocking in using an

   grep -n "easily" data_analysis.txt
   34:        I could easily implement netblock blocking using an

Or use grep to label all the lines with numbers:

   grep -n "^.*$" data_analysis.txt

We're lucky to have so many tools in the toolbox.