[PLUG] HP G62 AMD Dual Core laptop...

Michael Christopher Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat May 25 22:34:53 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 16:13 +0000, Bill Barry wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:03 PM Michael Christopher Robinson <
> michael at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
> > It has been suggested that I go to opensuse.  I don't want to,
> > Labview
> > works with CentOS 7 and there would be a learning curve to go from
> > Redhat style Linux to Suse style Linux.  What is the video card in
> > this
> > laptop, is it removeable, and is there a laptop form factor
> > alternative
> > that can replace it which Linux supports out of the box?
> >
> > This post
> https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=67864&sid=c034800d5a1edce136b09e692a6eb60c&start=10
> implies that it is a recent update to CentOS that killed the radeon
> driver.
> Is that true for your case?  Maybe you could install a slightly older
> version of CentOS at least temporarily.
>

> > Also, I'm planning on using VirtualBox to run Windows 7 on top of
> > CentOS.  Do I have enough CPU power to do this?  I have a dual core
> > Athlon II and 8 gigs of ram installed.
> >
> > That is plenty of power to run Windows 7 in VirtualBox
> >

> Bill Barry

Thanks Bill for the info.  I believe some derivative of Suse Linux
supports Labview, but I don't want to learn Suse as it is very
different from CentOS.  An older version of CentOS likely won't support
Labview, so I cannot solve my problem by running older CentOS if I
intend to run Labview on it.

The installer was graphical and there was no artifacting.  Whatever
driver it used, can I force gnome to use that driver instead?  I'm
guessing that a VESA driver was used.

If I'm going to install Catalyst, I have to get to the command line.
How do I get there, do I have to explicitly change the grub boot
options?  Whether I choose the standard or recovery kernel, I boot to
X which doesn't work at the moment and I can't get to the console which
does work.

     -- Michael C. Robinson