[PLUG] HP G62 AMD Dual Core laptop...

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon May 27 01:27:52 UTC 2019

If nomodeset resolves your problems then you can assume that
everything will work.

What you did was disable Kernel ModeSetting ( or KMS ) which allows
the radeon driver to kick in and enable full hardware acceleration
without X11. You might notice that your resolution stays low during
boot, rather than kicking in halfway through.
This does NOT affect hardware acceleration in X11. So as long as you
are running gnome in an X server you are fine. This is just known
quirky behavior with the new rendering subsystem in the kernel on
older hardware.

Most applications don't care one way or another about KMS, however any
of the hyper-modern desktop interfaces  (gnome3 shell, KDE plasma,
Cinnamon) will probably show their ugly faces at some point in the
future.

All you want to do here is make sure your CPU usage is not up through
the roof and continue about your day :-)