[PLUG] Is Ubuntu as popular as it deserves to be?

Michael Christopher Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Tue May 28 00:59:45 UTC 2019

A lot of people seem to favor Ubuntu over all other flavors of Linux.
I don't.  I have heard that in the Ubuntu world something considered
important today can disappear tomorrow.  Is this a problem?  Yes,
especially if there is a high learning curve to the software program.
Specifically, I have heard that there are some photo management
applications and such that were mainline for a while and then
arbitrarily trashed and replaced with something completely different.
For this reason, I stay away from Ubuntu.  I prefer Slackware, Debian,
or a Redhat variant to Ubuntu.  Ubuntu just doesn't seem stable to me.
Ubuntu seems like an okay choice if you don't upgrade, but everyone
should upgrade and install, ahem, security fixes.  Am I being
reasonable in my opinion of Ubuntu or not?  Have things changed for
the better and I just don't realize it?

     -- Michael C. Robinson