[PLUG] CentOS gpsd and ntpd

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue May 28 16:42:45 UTC 2019

On 5/27/19 9:56 PM, Michael Barnes wrote:
> Okay, got my machine up and running and trying to get the server stuff set
> up.  First, I'm working on the NTP server part of things. This is a field
> network with no Internet access, so I am providing time synchronization via
> ntp with a GPS USB puck. Basically, I have it all working when I run things
> manually. However, when I boot up or restart the computer, gpsd and ntpd
> are not coming up as desired.
>
> What I want:
> $ ps ax | grep gps
> 13878 ?        S<sl   0:04 gpsd -n /dev/ttyUSB0
> $ ps ax | grep ntp
> 13897 ?        Ss     0:00 ntpd -gN
>
> What I get on reboot:
> $ ps ax | grep gps
>   3297 ?        S<s    0:09 /usr/sbin/gpsd -N
> $ ps ax | grep ntp
>   3314 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/ntpd -u ntp:ntp -g
>
> Apparently, there is some place I need to configure so these things start
> with the right parameters. However, I have not played with CentOS for about
> 5 or 6 years, I am old and suffer from CRS, and simply cannot remember
> where to do this.
>
> I can kill the gpsd and ntpd processes and restart them from command line
> and things work fine, but they don't on initial boot.

I'm assuming you are running CentOS 7, and that you have installed gpsd
from epel and ntp from the standard repository.  The configuration files
are here:

/etc/sysconfig/gpsd
/etc/sysconfig/ntpd

I see a couple of ways to get tripped up while trying to get this
running.  The first is selinux, and the second is permissions set by
udev on the serial port.

Note that I'm not running either of these daemons.  Caveat emptor

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com