[PLUG] Error under Wine

Edward Koenig kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed May 29 04:05:00 UTC 2019

> On May 28, 2019, at 8:10 PM, Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Folks,
> I just recently updated to a newer piece of radio equipment, the new
> programming
> software has had some changes to it. The original software ran better under
> Wine
> than under Windows, the newer version now fails with the following error::
>
> run-time error  '-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation error:
>
> I have looked it up and it appears to be that it should say after the colon:
> The object invoked has disconnected from its clients
> I am trying to figure out if there is a way to fix it so I can run it under
> wine rather than
> have to run it under Win10 ( a VM but still have to spin it up and I do
> really dislike
> Win10)
>
> If anyone wants to take a look at it, it is available from several
> locations.
>
> Here is one:
> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0833/9095/files/D878UV_Setup_1.12.exe?146
> Here is another:
> http://www.connectsystems.com/software/top/D878UV.htm
> For this one select CPS version 1.12
>
> I am trying to figure out if there is something I need to update on Wine or
> if the
> chinese coders wrote something that will not work under Wine.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
>
> Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
> I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
> Ph 4:13 KJV
> Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece.
> Fil 4:13 RVR1960

I’ve always been fascinated by amateur radio but never had the time to add it to an already long list of hobbies...

WINE updates furiously, currently at 4.0.1, with testing/beta at 4.9.  If you are still on the 3.x branch consider updating.  Also play around with the windows OS version setting; even if its for Win10, win7 may work better or vice versa.  Next, check USB device file permissions as the error hints at connection issue.  Could be anything from udev to systemd (ugh) not set right or not letting go. You may also have to poke around winecfg to see if you need to install a win10 dll override.

Also, if you are not afraid of the command line:
https://github.com/sergev/dmrconfig

-Ed