[PLUG] Printer IP address [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 5 13:50:32 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> In all my years of printing from computers to printers over a network,
> I've never run into a printer whose IP address could not be changed
> from the printer's control panel.

John,

My experiences over the past couple of decades is the opposite: I've never
had a printer with a built-in IP address. Of course, the Okidata dot-matrix
printer wasn't network-enabled, but the laser and inkjet printers all
were/are and the IP address is set in /etc/hosts, not on the printer. Then
again, my printers have been HP (and a Brother which I gave to a new home).