[PLUG] Printer IP address [UPDATE]

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 00:14:13 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 10:01 AM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2019, Michael Barnes wrote:
>
> > I'm getting really confused here. The /etc/hosts file is not for setting
> > IP addresses on devices.
>
> Michael,
>
> You're correct. But, it tells me which IP address is assigned to a device.
>

> > This means that these devices must have static addresses for this to
> work.
>
> Repeat: I've used only static IP addresses since 1997. They work for me.
>
> Rich

Sorry, but unless something drastic has changed, the /etc/hosts file does
not tell you what IP address is being used for anything. It is simply a
text file that YOU set up that translates a domain name to an IP address.
So, you can put Printer1.loc in your browser and it will connect you with
192.168.2.101 (the IP assigned to your printer). Of course those are
examples and not your actual configuration. As that file is manually
created, your IP addresses can change completely and the file will be
pretty much worthless.

I'm not denying you are using static IP addresses. I've been using them
since 1986. I'm just trying to explain that the /etc/hosts file has really
nothing to do with assigning IP addresses and that your particular problem
lies elsewhere. If you are indeed using static IP addresses as you say, and
you say you are NOT using DHCP, then the ONLY way to have static addresses
is for them to be manually set in each piece of equipment from the control
panel or via a configuration interface (usually web based).

I'm just trying to help based on the information you have provided. You
apparently are not interested in that, so I will move on.  Good luck.

Michael