[PLUG] Printer IP address [UPDATE]

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 00:18:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 10:03 AM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2019, Michael Barnes wrote:
>
> > To my knowledge (admittedly limited), you do not use rc.inet to configure
> > the IP address of peripheral equipment not physically part of that
> > computer.
>
> In Slackware one uses /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf to set Ethernet and wireless
> interfaces. They are brought up and down using ifconfig.
>
> Rich

This is completely true for the computer you are using and the interfaces
located physically within that computer. You most certainly DO NOT use
rc.inet.conf to set the IP address of a remote printer or any other device
not actually within the case of the computer directly connected to the
motherboard.

Apples and horseshoes to the original complaint.

Michael