[PLUG] Fed up with drive constantly refreshing

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Nov 10 23:18:42 UTC 2019

I have a 2-bay Mediasonic enclosure with two WD red drives in Raid 0,
one 6TB, about 4 years old, and the other 8TB, about three years old.
The enclosure has a USB3 jack and an eSata jack. I use the USB3 jack,
but at one time I used the eSata connector and performance was the
same. The drives are formatted ext4 and the Raid was created using the
built-in Mediasonic software. The data is backed up nightly via rsync
to a 16TB Synology NAS with two 8TB WD red drives, also in Raid 0.

I have had this setup for close to three years now, and it works great
except when I try to read or write to the array and I have to sit and
twiddle my thumbs for up to two full minutes waiting for the drive
lights and the disk rumbling to stop. Once the drives are ready file
transfers are reasonably fast - ~10-20 seconds to transfer a 2GB file.
But then, even though I continue to do file transfers every couple of
minutes, suddenly it will decide it needs to refresh itself, and then I
have to stop everything until it finishes.

I've been putting up with this for long enough. Is there any way to get
this array to stop constantly refreshing itself?