[PLUG] Fed up with drive constantly refreshing

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 03:20:03 UTC 2019

You should really troubleshoot before jumping to the conclusion that your
RAID system is the point of failure. I work for a company that sells
RAID0/1 enclosures similar to what you have, and they reset themselves
whenever they are connected to the computer. So if for some reason your USB
connnections resets as a result of an old cable or worn out port then yeah,
it's gonna do that. People immediately jump to the idea that the vendor's
RAID engine is the problem, without ever checking the other components.

And honestly, USB connections simply aren't reliable. This is exactly what
happens when people ask a plug'n'play protocol to have 100% uptime. It's
simply not going to happen. For all we know ZFS could run into the same
problem, with different symptoms.