[PLUG] USB Adapter for NVMe drive

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 00:19:55 UTC 2019

When I do such things, I do not bother with adapters, even opening the laptop.

I simply boot the laptop to live Linux OS - Knoppix is my favorite, but any live
linux bootable from USB stick is fine - Then I save (dd) the drive over the
network to NAS or other other PC.

Reading the disk and compressing the data is typically way slower than a wired
network, so there is no speed advantage in using a dongle.

the actual command would look like:
dd if=/dev/sda |  ssh user at computerName 'cat - > fileNameOnTheOtherPc'
or if you want to compress before sending it over:
dd if=/dev/sda |  xz -c | ssh user at computerName 'cat - >
fileNameOnTheOtherPc.xz'

Obviously your NVMe device will show up as /dev/nvme..... not /dev/sda

Maybe that can be an option too.

Tomas