[PLUG] Putting knoppix-8.6 on an 8G flash drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 16 20:06:08 UTC 2019

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Having said that, I don't believe I ever tried to burn an ISO to a drive
> that was messed up, bad partition, etc. I wonder what would happen if I
> did it.

I used to copy .iso files to cdrom/dvd using dd. The reason it didn't work
on today's first try, as Galen pointed out, is that I specified of=/dev/sdd1
which is a partition.

Specifying of=/dev/sdd wrote the entire 6.4G to the flashdrive in an iso
file system, added a linux partition for the efi/ startup and other files.

Took time to write, but that's fine since other tasks were accomplished
while bits were being transferred.

Regards,