[PLUG] What could cause /home partition not to be found

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Nov 18 05:49:34 UTC 2019

>On this computer /dev/sdb is a 512GB SSD with two partitions, / of 50GB
>and /home of 400GB (dev/sdb2). Of course, /home has tons of config
>files for software, so failing to boot the GUI without a /home folder
>is understandable. But why would the OS suddenly be unable to
>find /home?

Aha! I have a clue. My fstab contains the following lines of interest:

/dev/sdb1 / ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb2 / /home ext4 defaults 0 2
192.168.1.115:/volume1/Synology /media/jjjSynology nfs auto,user 0 0

I also noticed an error message that it could not mount Synology. I
didn't5 think it important at the time, but now it occurs to me that
nothing other than / is being mounted. What could cause this?