[PLUG] What could cause /home partition not to be found

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Nov 18 06:25:19 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 05:58:30 +0000
Reid <nrwahl at protonmail.com> dijo:

>> I also noticed an error message that it could not mount Synology
>
>While this could be due to a number of issues (e.g., inability to
>connect to the NFS server or find the export there), I'm suspicious
>about your mount point "/media/jjjSynology". Are the three j's
>supposed to be there?

Yes, Ubuntu makes a folder in /media for each user, and I am jjj.

Regarding the extra / in the fstab line for /home, that is just a typo.
I am having to use my desktop computer to get to the net, requiring me
to retype what I see on the problem computer.

However, I have discovered additional clues. There is a line in fstab
to mount an external USB drive with the label Movies. I discovered that
it was being mounted as /dev/sdb1. In other words, the line that is
trying to mount /dev/sdb2 as /home is failing because the Movies drive
has taken /dev/sdb.

It is too late for me to think clearly, bu7t in the morning I am going
to use a live GParted DVD to add a label to the /home partition, and
then edit the line in fstab to reflect the change.

And I absolutely hate the Linux system of assigning letters to drives
as it finds them so you can never be sure what you're dealing with.