[PLUG] Unmanaged gigabit switches: does brand matter?

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 17:18:49 UTC 2019

These things are commodity, so any of the manufacturers is probably about
the same quality/durability.

I do not believe that anyone has invested a penny in 1Gb unmanaged switch
products in over decade. So, they are essentially the same old products
made by old fabs.

What matters are price, features, management/configuration and design.
Example: If you need vlans, you will need to configure them. Some companies
use ancient or even costly software to configure the switch,.... That kind
of thing you need to decide for yourself.

If you do not care, just get one of the Netgear GSxxx again.

I personally switched from Netgear to Ubiquity years ago because I could
not configure Netgear without windows.

Now, Ubiquity has decided that their products will call home with data from
the internal networks, of course without opt in/out. And of course they
think that it is great and they have absolute right to use someone else's
network for theirs desires. So, I will be dumping their gear in a hurry as
soon as I have the time to do it.

As you can see, your question needs to be little more specific.

Hope it helps to narrow the choices,

Tomas