[PLUG] rsync not working backuppc4

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 05:48:08 UTC 2019

So you've set up a passwordless login for a user (im assuming username
"eagle") and that works.

But when you try doing it with backuppc it fails with the /nonexistent
error. What this probably means is that backuppc is configured to perform
backups as a user that you have not set up for passwordless login.

Keep in mind that ssh keys are per user. this means that if I setup
passwordless login  (e.g. 'bkoenig') then it will only work for 'bkoenig'.
If i try to log in as someone else (such as ssh ekoenig at remote.host ) it
will fail because said keys are not visible to ekoenig. It sounds like you
have set up passwordless login for root, but not for the user backuppc
uses, and that particular user doesn't actually have a home directory, this
throwing the error you saw when attempting to create a folder.

Does BackupPC4 have a GUI configuration area or something that lets you
tell it to use a specific user? This is a common theme throughout FreeNAS,
you can set different services to run as different users, isolating the
processes and allowing it to run with permissions on a per-service basis.