[PLUG] Search entire filesystem except two mounted partitions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Nov 29 04:02:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:02:58 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>Why does locate fail you? If your system is on overnight the database
>is updated. If not, as root (sudo) you can run updatedb (see man
>updatedb).
>
>You can use part of a filename with locate and try different strings to
>isolate what you want. Since locate searches the slocate database
>you're not doing a sequential search through terrabytes of data.

I tried updatedb as jjj and with sudo and it did nothing much. It took
about one second to complete. Clearly it is not updating the database
for all files on all partitions.

I think I found one solution - find with the --prune option. I'm trying
to figure out the syntax to make it exclude the entire /media folder
(because that's where everything but / and /home are mounted). I wish
man pages would give examples of usage.