[PLUG] Years later - laser toner particle size

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Oct 14 07:40:47 UTC 2019

Many years ago, I wrote about toner for my venerable HP4050
B&W and HP2605dn color printers.  I recently bought another
"just in case" HP4050 on Craigslist; the seller is a retired
Xerox field service technician, and he talked for an hour
about printer design, and about the importance of OEM toner.

Powdered toner (color especially) is not all the same;
particle size matters (typically a few micrometers).  Too
large, and the colors don't mix right or blend smoothly.
Too small, and the smallest grains blow all over the place,
especially into the scanner assembly and mirrors.  HP and
most OEMs don't just grind up the toner powder, they sift
it by size.

Cleaning the mirrors is a NASTY disassembly job on the
HP2605; the scanner box is buried in the center of the
machine.  Access requires removing about 40 screws,
three circuit boards, and a dozen cables.  I'm reminded
of fables about British cars that required hoisting out
the engine to change the oil.

So, I belatedly "have religion" regards toner.  I will
buy $120 OEM HP cartridges soon, rather than $50 brandX
refills, unless somebody here knows of a rebuild outfit
that is known to do very very good quality/size control on
their toner particles.  Places like Orifice Depot charge
more and sell crap; brand names aren't trustworthy, track
record is.

Keith
Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com