[PLUG] Years later - laser toner particle size

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Mon Oct 14 17:02:21 UTC 2019

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> > I'm reminded of fables about British cars that required hoisting out the
> > engine to change the oil.
>
> Keith,
>
> In the 1960s, at least, Morgans had wood frames and the bolts needed to be
> checked for tightness every few thousant miles. (FWIW, they're still being
> hand-built -- on steel frames -- and sell for ~$60,000.)
>
> And there was a Ford car that had to be lifted on a rack to change the
> rear-most spark plug from underneath.

There was more than just "A Ford" that has spark plug nighmares,
most of the front wheel drive v6 and v8 cars are a nightmare to
get to the real spark plugs, some require considerable disassmebly
to replace, part of what caused the advent of the 100k mile double
platnium spark plug!

> > So, I belatedly "have religion" regards toner. I will buy $120 OEM HP
> > cartridges soon, rather than $50 brandX refills, unless somebody here
> > knows of a rebuild outfit that is known to do very very good quality/size
> > control on their toner particles. Places like Orifice Depot charge more
> > and sell crap; brand names aren't trustworthy, track record is.
>
> Have you called Portland Printer Place, 1212 SE Powell, Portland,
> 503-232-9174? They do only printers and provide excellent service and
> advice.

A good place, and I am almost possitive they shall say "Only use OEM
cartridges in your printer".  But of cource that may be techncial in
nature, I am sure they can make a case, but understand, they are a
factor authorized center for many OEM's so saying anything different
would probably be a violation of that authorization, and also there
is the whole business reason, they work on a mark up percentage and
the more expensive the part the more profit for them.

> BTW, on a different note, are you aware of the RISC-V open source ISA for
> chips? There's an article about it in last week's Economist.

Rather interesting news all around the globe on RISC-V, thanks to
the sanctions against china who can no longer get ARM technology
to make there wunderful devices.. guess what they are gona do?
Yep, here we go... RISC-V is expected to make a huge splash in the
phone and PDA market next year...  and ARM is scrambling to recoup
lost license fees.

Google up the "Xuantie 910", Alibabi has just eclipsed everyone
on the fastest biggest RISC-V out there... arm look out... your
business model is circling the drain!

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org