[PLUG] question on using Google Web Speech api to convert wav files to text files

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 03:40:54 UTC 2019

Here is how I would go about it.
0. You could do this with Jack, but ... too long instructions
1. start: pavucontrol &
   select input devices tab
   show: All Input Devices
   you should see your monitor device - right?
2. Get everything ready to play your sound file.
3. go to you Google-API webpage and enable the microphone for speech to text
   in pavucontrol
        - under Recording tab you should see Google chrome using
          one of your input devices - probably microphone
        - change that to your monitor device
   if there is a speech coming from the monitor device - huraaah
   if there is no speech coming out - chrome will time out
     - and you will need to be faster the next time you enable the microphone

Alternatively, you could just use the real service - free of charge for up to 60
minutes - and just upload the file to Google and get the text back. That way you
would probably get back your text in seconds instead of playing it for the whole
hour.

good luck,
Tomas