[PLUG] Finding suitable printer

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sat Oct 19 16:14:41 UTC 2019

On 10/19/2019 10:19 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 10/19/19 4:55 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I run Debian on two laptops in different rooms and networking is not
>> feasible.
>
> How do your laptops connect to the Internet?

*VERY* atypically ;/ When my then ISP quit providing dial-up networking
I decided for cell system connectivity. I wanted a simple USB device.
All but one local cell company wanted to force feed me a so called smart
phone with an unreadably small screen. The T-mobile rep at least knew
what I wanted. He didn't carry it but suggested a WiFi Hotspot whose
WiFi capability I turn off as some of my computers have no WiFi
capability and I consider WiFi to be intrinsically insecure (who me?
opinionated ;)

> WiFi? Some printers can do that, too.
>
>> I'm looking for a small low volume printer. It will generally be
>> stored, not connected, on a shelf near one laptop. Desk space *very*
>> limited. Occasionally used away from home. {Battery operation would be
>> nice but not required.} I've not looked for a printer in decades.
>>
>> Max number pages per run -- ~10
>> Max pages per year       -- ~50
>> USB connectivity
>
> I haven't used any of these, but a search turned up a lot of hits.
> Here's the one from Amazon:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/slp/travel-printers/jca8e4qsyp4s642

Requiring WiFi connectivity is unacceptable. Must function with only USB
connection. Possibility of WiFi connection, as well as color print
capability, are no-value frills.

However I didn't know the category "travel printer" existed so I would
have never searched for it. Part of the reason I posted was I didn't
know what search terms to use.

Knowing that term allows me to visit the local Office Depot. I'm much
more comfortable shopping for unfamiliar equipment via brick-n-mortar
than online.

Thank you.