[PLUG] rsync root-owned files

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sun Oct 20 16:42:01 UTC 2019

On 10/20/19 9:11 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I need to rsync the contents of /var/spool/postfix/rshepard from the
> defunct
> desktop's backup drive to the new desktop. I understand that rsync uses ssh
> and root is blocked from using ssh. As a user I cannot write to
> /var/spool/postfix/. What is the approach that will allow me to transfer
> these (and similar system) files from the backup drive to the new desktop?

Rather than using rsync, why not this:

login to your backup system
sudo to root
tar up the directory you want to move, putting the tar file in /tmp
chown the tar file to rshepard

login to new desktop
use scp or other file transfer method to move the tar file
sudo to root
cd /tmp/
extract the tar file into /tmp
carefully examine files and permissions to be sure they are correct

mv or cp -a the directory to the desired spot, making sure you don't
overwrite anything important

FYI rsync does not require the use of ssh.  It's just common to use it.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com