[PLUG] Kernel changes external hard drive designation

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 23:50:36 UTC 2019

Well first of all dirvish is probably just erroring out because it can't
find a file somewhere in /mnt/backup. I know this from your ls command, it
gave an error when you tried to view the contents of your backup directory.
This probably isn't a dirvish problem so we can set it aside for a bit.

It sounds like this system is having issues mounting that USB device. In
your previous message you mentioned that it worked, so it sounds like its
losing track of something.  When you see the input/output error from ls,
run the following commands and post the output:
$ cd /
$ mount
$ umount /mnt/backup
$ mount
$ mount /mnt/backup

Since you added the UUID in fstab I'd like to see which block device your
system is looking at when reading through it.

Also, in this situation fdisk isn't actually that helpful. Since you are
switching to UUID we need to use other commands to find out what is where.
To clarify some confusion on why this is happening, drive letters are
assigned dynamically as drives are plugged in. So for example, if you
unplug sda and sdb, then plug sdb back in, it will show as sda. What might
be happening is that you have a different (and potentially unrelated)
device plugged in and showing up as /dev/sdc and intermittently dropping
off, so this drive shows up in weird places. Switching to UUID mountpoints
makes that less of a problem so I would focus on using mount and lsblk to
troubleshoot.