[PLUG] Kernel changes external hard drive designation [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 23 18:33:48 UTC 2019

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> While /dev/sdd1/ was mounted on /mnt/backup/ the kernel changed the external
> drive to /dev/sdc1.

Fixed: I bought a RSHtech usb3 enclosure and it's attached to one of the
usb3.1 ports on the rear. It remains connected at /dev/sdc1. Now when I try
to initialize the salmo-data vault I get:
Permission denied (publickey).
salmo-data:default pre-client failed (65280)

I thought the USB ports on the front of the case were also USB3; perhaps
not.

Now to fix rsync/ssh so root can connect to only the backup drive and not
access the network from outside.

Thanks all,